Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Julian's

Place:  Julian’s
Web-site: Not available
Location:  314 Pioneer Street, Akron, Ohio Google Maps

Quick Blurb:
Clam Chowder & Bread Pudding – be sure to visit on a Friday so you can have the opportunity of tasting this excellent combination. This hole-in-the-wall restaurant is as down to earth as you can get. If you live in the area, you’ve got to give Julian’s a try. 

Review:

Appearance:
As I said – a hole in the wall. Upon entering, it’s a small restaurant with booths on either side and then tables down the middle. My guess would be about 6 or 7 booths on each side – to give you an idea of depth. The kitchen is then located in the back and that’s all there is to it. 

Staff:
Each and every time we’ve been, I have never had a complaint about the staff. The waitresses are so friendly and pleasant to speak with. Even on our first trip we struck up a conversation and had a joke or two go back and forth. 

Meal:

Entrée:
We’ve been there only on Friday’s as that is the day we go out to lunch from work. We noticed early on that Clam Chowder was on their specialty menu – clam chowder it is. Believe me, there are a ton of clams in each bowl of chowder you order. It isn’t a couple of clams masked by loads of potato. Rather the opposite.  With a nice side of oyster crackers and some Louisiana hot sauce to sprinkle on, there isn’t much more satisfaction you can get from a meal less than $4. Oh and it does fill you up. I am very hesitant in order clam chowder anywhere, but the fact that it is homemade, right there by the chef, I took the chance and have never been proven wrong. It is delicious!

Desserts:
Ok, if you do make it over to Julian’s, please, do me a favour and order the bread pudding. If you get nothing to eat, just order the bread pudding. Another homemade masterpiece – I don’t think I’ve had bread pudding as good as this anywhere. The beauty of it all, the inclusion of rum…makes a nice Friday lunch treat before returning to work….

Drinks:
I’ve only ever had the soft drinks. I tended to stay away from water because it had a bit of a taste to it, and I’m picky about tap water – I don’t want it to taste like anything.

Prices:
Chowder, bread pudding and a soda = less than $10 with a tip included. You can't beat that really. A quality, homemade meal for under $10 with tip. It’s a steal!

Overall Experience:
I have had some other items on the menu before venturing into the chowder and they were ok. Not great, nothing spectacular, but decent. That said, I haven’t had anything else but the clam chowder since ordering it the first time. 

The staff is great. As I said, friendly, polite, a sense of humor and down to earth. It’s fun to go to Julian’s – you get a solid meal for a great price and you feel welcomed. Places like this are hard to come by nowadays. Go on a Friday and give the chowder and bread pudding combo a try!


Julian's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment