Search This Blog


Sunday, April 25, 2010


Place:  Julian’s
Web-site: Not available
Location:  314 Pioneer Street, Akron, Ohio Google Maps

Quick Blurb:
Clam Chowder & Bread Pudding – be sure to visit on a Friday so you can have the opportunity of tasting this excellent combination. This hole-in-the-wall restaurant is as down to earth as you can get. If you live in the area, you’ve got to give Julian’s a try. 


As I said – a hole in the wall. Upon entering, it’s a small restaurant with booths on either side and then tables down the middle. My guess would be about 6 or 7 booths on each side – to give you an idea of depth. The kitchen is then located in the back and that’s all there is to it. 

Each and every time we’ve been, I have never had a complaint about the staff. The waitresses are so friendly and pleasant to speak with. Even on our first trip we struck up a conversation and had a joke or two go back and forth. 


We’ve been there only on Friday’s as that is the day we go out to lunch from work. We noticed early on that Clam Chowder was on their specialty menu – clam chowder it is. Believe me, there are a ton of clams in each bowl of chowder you order. It isn’t a couple of clams masked by loads of potato. Rather the opposite.  With a nice side of oyster crackers and some Louisiana hot sauce to sprinkle on, there isn’t much more satisfaction you can get from a meal less than $4. Oh and it does fill you up. I am very hesitant in order clam chowder anywhere, but the fact that it is homemade, right there by the chef, I took the chance and have never been proven wrong. It is delicious!

Ok, if you do make it over to Julian’s, please, do me a favour and order the bread pudding. If you get nothing to eat, just order the bread pudding. Another homemade masterpiece – I don’t think I’ve had bread pudding as good as this anywhere. The beauty of it all, the inclusion of rum…makes a nice Friday lunch treat before returning to work….

I’ve only ever had the soft drinks. I tended to stay away from water because it had a bit of a taste to it, and I’m picky about tap water – I don’t want it to taste like anything.

Chowder, bread pudding and a soda = less than $10 with a tip included. You can't beat that really. A quality, homemade meal for under $10 with tip. It’s a steal!

Overall Experience:
I have had some other items on the menu before venturing into the chowder and they were ok. Not great, nothing spectacular, but decent. That said, I haven’t had anything else but the clam chowder since ordering it the first time. 

The staff is great. As I said, friendly, polite, a sense of humor and down to earth. It’s fun to go to Julian’s – you get a solid meal for a great price and you feel welcomed. Places like this are hard to come by nowadays. Go on a Friday and give the chowder and bread pudding combo a try!

Julian's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment